Wireless Android Auto has been available for some time now but there was a catch. It would only work with Google’s Nexus or Pixel phones. With more than a year passing by after Wireless Android Auto had been announced, there had been no official announcement of other phones being wireless Android Auto compatible.
Leave it to the ever so resourceful Android community, Redditor Ron Simoneau (/u/dingonugget) took it upon himself to figure out how to make his OnePlus 7 Pro work wirelessly with Android Auto. To start off you’ll need to join the Google Play Services beta program, you can do this by clicking here.
Once you are enrolled here is the steps you need to do to make any Android phone work with Wireless Android Auto. Reminder, Wireless Android Auto will only work with head units that have this feature.
- Open the Android Auto app.
- Scroll down to the bottom where it says “Version and permission info”
- Tap that section 10 times
- It will ask if you want to allow development settings, tap ok.
- Next tap the menu (three dots on the top right) and select developer settings.
- Select “Show Wireless Projection Option”
- Reboot your phone and then follow your head unit’s instructions on connecting wirelessly.
Taking Ron’s discovery, the Android community has gone ahead and tested other phones/head unit’s wireless Android Auto compatibility. Here is a list of confirmed phones that can be used:
- Huawei Honor 9 w/ Pioneer W4400NEX
- LG V40 ThinQ w/ Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX
- OnePlus 7 Pro w/ Kenwood Excellon DMX905S
- OnePlus 6T w/ JVC KW-M845BW
- OnePlus 6T w/ Pioneer W4400NEX (running Pixel ROM)
- OnePlus 6T w/ Kenwood Excellon DNX995S
- OnePlus 6T w/ JVC KW-M855W
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8 w/ Pioneer W4400NEX
- Samsung Galaxy S10+ w/ Kenwood Excellon DMX905S
- Samsung Galaxy S8 w/ Kenwood Excellon DMX905S
- Samsung Galaxy S10+ w/ Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX
- Samsung Galaxy S10 w/ Pioneer W4400NEX
- Samsung Galaxy S10+ w/ Pioneer W4400NEX
- Samsung Galaxy S10 w/ Kenwood Excellon DDX9905S
- Samsung Galaxy Note 9 w/ Kenwood Excellon DDX9705S
- Samsung Galaxy S10 w/ Kenwood Excellon DMX905S
- Samsung Galaxy Note 9 w/ Pioneer W4400NEX
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ w/ Pioneer W4400NEX
- Samsung Galaxy S10 w/ Kenwood Excellon DDX9705S
- Samsung Galaxy S9 w/ Kenwood Excellon DDX9905S
- Samsung Galaxy S10+ w/ Pioneer W8400NEX
[Source: XDA Developers]