With the release of iOS 10.3, CarPlay gets three new useful features. The biggest change will now make it much easier to navigate around the various apps you commonly use. The old version of CarPlay would require you to go all the back to the home screen to select a different app. Now with this update a shortcut will be permanently displayed, appearing along the left sidebar with your most recently used apps.
In another effort to make CarPlay more user friendly the Now Playing screen also gets an update. A new Up Next screen will show the next song to be played in the current album, making it easier to find the tracks you want to listen to.
Lastly while it may not seem like a big addition to CarPlay, those who subscribe to Apple Music will enjoy this. You will now have daily curated playlists and new music categories to choose from.
The iOS 10.3 update is available to download now, but one important thing to note is that iOS 10.3 uses the new Apple File System (APFS) which is designed to free up storage space. Just as a precaution, you might want to back up your phone in case older files and apps aren’t compatiable with the new system.
Find My iPhone
- View the current or last known location of your AirPods
- Play a sound on one or both AirPods to help you find them
- Support for paying and checking status of bills with payment apps
- Support for scheduling with ride booking apps
- Support for checking car fuel level, lock status, turning on lights and activating horn with automaker apps
- Cricket sports scores and statistics for Indian Premier League and International Cricket Council
- Shortcuts in the status bar for easy access to last used apps
- Apple Music Now Playing screen gives access to Up Next and the currently playing song’s album
- Daily curated playlists and new music categories in Apple Music
Other improvements and fixes
- Rent once and watch your iTunes movies across your devices
- New Settings unified view for your Apple ID account information, settings and devices
- Hourly weather in Maps using 3D Touch on the displayed current temperature
- Support for searching “parked car” in Maps
- Calendar adds the ability to delete an unwanted invite and report it as junk
- Home app support to trigger scenes using accessories with switches and buttons
- Home app support for accessory battery level status
- Podcasts support for 3D Touch and Today widget to access recently updated shows
- Podcast shows or episodes are shareable to Messages with full playback support
- Fixes an issue that could prevent Maps from displaying your current location after resetting Location & Privacy
- VoiceOver stability improvements for Phone, Safari and Mail